Sunday, April 3, 2011

Home again

After a day of traveling, we are home and a bit tired. I awoke this morning to a cool breeze.... something I have not felt in awhile. It was very warm and humid in the mornings in Haiti, but it was nice to wake up to the sounds of roosters crowing instead of highway traffic. I went to the store today, and thought of how I can get in my own car and drive to a supermarket and get almost anything I want (except, of course, wonderful flavorful ripe mangoes). It's clear that we take many things in our lives for granted. But if I bring one thing home from this trip, it is that during the past week, I lived with purpose. Every moment was significant. It can be easy to miss the significant moments in our normal lives. As a teacher and therapist, those wonderful moments when you can affect someone's life are significant. Each moment in Haiti was significant. We nurtured relationships, opened doors of communication and understanding, and shared insights. We were welcomed with warmth, our hosts shared their experiences and their love for their people with us. It was a little bitter sweet to leave, but I know I'll be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment