Sunday, March 13, 2011

Is it me???

Is it me, or are natural disasters more frequent and more devastating? Since 2000 it seems there have been one or two major disasters each year. California has it's fires, tornado alley had it's tornados, the great tsunami in Thailand, two major earthquakes in Pakistan, one in New Zealand, one in Haiti .... and on and on. Japan, of course has a triple threat -- 9.0 earthquate, tsunami and potential nuclear meltdown. Each image I see makes my heart break. It also empowers me to make this trip to Haiti the best possible -- to provide fellowship, hope, and hopefully allow for the development of some sustainable skills in the use of art. I am really grateful for the support of friends, colleagues, and family in this effort. I wish I could be in Japan to help, but I know that their needs are very basic now. There is time. For those of you I know in Japan, I send you my heartfelt prayers for your recovery.

1 comment:

  1. I think the ring of fire, that geologic line of shifting tetonic plates, is having an active year...I personally am sweating the path of destruction walking around the ring, because I have 2 dear friends in San Fransisco, and they could easily be next. I found this blog, which does not diminsh Japan's great need and pain, but it does help put the situation in perspective.
    http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/03/13/some-perspective-on-the-japan-earthquake/
    And my friend in New Zealand is safe. Prayers, donations and anything we can do for all...art therapy included.

    ReplyDelete