Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What to do with all those feelings???

The news this week has caused many of us to lose sleep. Despite giving myself a "no news" day, compounded by the time change I, myself, was bombarded with images from the news as I was trying to go to sleep. I found myself creating a collage as a way to deal with all the internal images and feelings I was experiencing. I decided to offer this option to my students and colleagues at Converse. As a result, we are now creating a wall of soul collages in response to the tragedy in Japan. Using 5" x 8" cardstock, we searched magazines for images that spoke to us in response to the events in order to create the collages. Written statements were written on the back of each card. The smaller size format allows for containment of overwhelming feelings, and at the same time encourages careful selection of images and words that are truly meaningful. I was also reminded of the 1,000 cranes project. Chains of origami cranes are strung together to bring good luck. I've been making cranes for a day or so now.

In reflecting on our upcoming trip to Haiti, I realized that they have been in recovery for over a year, and have made some headway, but there is still much to do. I feel privileged to be able to go, even for so short a time, but I do hope our efforts will be the start of enduring change. Gratefully, we will be in a relatively safe environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment