Friday, January 22, 2010

Douz and Sousse

Sorry for the delay again, I got caught up in the medinas and bazaars in Tozeur that make sure you leave with no money and very little merchandise . I don't think I did well with the whole bartering thing because I would end up with no money and no way of paying for internet service or even lunch one day. I finally got an opportunity to write to you about my camel ride. First, I must tell you about what led up to the camel riding. Before the camel riding, I was extremely happy to find a medina in Douz that had reasonable barters who would give you a good price for their merchandise. I also met a nice Twarek man with beautiful, piercing eyes that took care of us. I got some incense from him and he drew a beautiful Arabic flower on my hand and my Arabic name. After our excursion through the medina, we made our way to our camel riding! The minute I got there, Berber men were waiting to wrap me up in camel wear to protect us from the Saharan sand. First, I got a big poncho on me. Then, a sheba was wrapped around my head so tight, I was starting to get a splitting headache. I could not worry about that because before I knew it, I was on a camel holding on for dear life, hoping I would not fall off . After I was on the camel, I was fine because they go slow for us. Carolyn, Dr. West's sister, got a love sick camel that was going crazy the whole trip. It was foaming at the mouth and this bladder type thing was hanging out of its mouth that kept blowing up. It was great being in the middle of the Sahara desert in full traditional clothes on a camel!!!! After we were going along for awhile, we stopped to see the sunset over the desert. OOO I rode a horse with Melique. I did not want to even get on the horse, but before I knew it, I was on a horse with my arms wrapped around a nice Berber man really holding on for dear life. I told him I can't let go of you! He took my hands and put them out in the air and we were riding a horse with no hands. It was soooo much fun.
Between Douz and Sousse lies The great Star War!!!!! This is the place where homes are dug underground like little caves. I got to see where Luke Skywalker lived!!!! It was awesome!!! I had no idea that this movie was filmed here and I know a lot of people are going to be jealous of this experience hehehe!
I am now in Sousse having a lovely time next to the Mediterranean Sea. I am visiting more medinas, seeing Mosques, hanging by the port and going to the Roman Amphitheater that is yet again in between Douz and Sousse. We also got to see where natives lived and how they survive in the middle of the desert. They showed us how to make flour and even gave us mint tea. They are welcoming to us even though we are intruding into their home and they taught us about their culture with ease. I have enjoyed taking in these great cities and have been relaxing by smoking the hubbly bubbly, which is flavored tobacco. I have had the luxury of seeing these wonderful places and have gotten pampered in our nice hotel with a balcony overseeing the sea !!!

It is going to be hard to leave this glorious country and I will be sad when I have to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment