Friday, January 15, 2010

Sorry for the Delay!!!!!

I finally have access to the internet and it is at the American Embassy in Tunisia. I am waiting for the lecture to begin on Islamic culture and to observe this place that has maximum security like all embassies do. So far, Tunisia has been an interesting and exciting place to be. The medina is full of everything from D & G clothes to toilet paper. The people are friendly and want you to come and join them in their cafes and hear about where you come from. What makes the city of Tunis unique is their art, architecture, and lifestyle which mirrors the French because a lot of it was taken from Tunis.

I have met wonderful warm-hearted Tunisians that have welcomed me into their home, their art studio, and their heart. The students and I are fortunate to have met Tunisian students which was arranged by their professor, Nabiha (sorry for the misspelling of your name) who has helped open many dialogues between us about how diverse our cultures are and how they are similar. The Tunisian students, like us, have strong beliefs of religion and politics and we have crushed the negative and ignorant sterotypes that divide our countries and we hope that this will be a process that will bring hope to more Tunisians and Americans. We are all human and we are here to live our lives to the fullest without the pain and suffering of violence and division. These students have opened the doors to many discussions that I wish to bring back to the U. S. to educate our culture more about Tunisia and their passionate people.

We have also been having lots of fun with the Tunisian people by belly dancing and eating fresh exotic foods with spices that explode in my mouth. I also love being awakened by their prayer calling that is worth getting out of bed to hear instead of the annoying alarm clock that I have in my dorm room.

I will try and find more internet access to share all of my journey that has exceeded all the expectations I have had on this trip.

Now I am going to hear a lecture in the American Embassy in Tunisia. I just can't believe that I am actually experiencing this trip and all that I have learned. I am fortunate to have had this opportunity and look forward to what will happen next.

Basleema (Bye!)

Erin <3

3 comments:

  1. We are looking forward to hearing about and seeing the Tunisian culture through your eyes. Please send pictures!! Stay safe. Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the Tunisian Cultural Center in New York, this is Director Remadi Nour who is enchanted by your emotions and feelings toward Tunisia and the peoples of Tunisia; the Arts, the Culture and all this exciting experience that seems to me right and spicy.
    I am Tunisian, and I have the same emotions you do have when I visit Tunisia...
    Please share with us here in New York more of your experiences in Tunisia. We do have requests about similar trips.
    Truly,
    Mrs Remadi Nour
    visit www.tunisiancenterusa.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Naima,
    Thank you for your comments on our trip. It has been a really exciting time, and we have learned so much. You are more than welcome to share any information you have, or if you would like to refer any inquiries about traveling to Tunisia to myself or the students, please do not hesitate to do so.

    Geri Hurlbut
    Director of Art Therapy
    Converse College
    geri.hurlbut@converse.edu

    ReplyDelete