Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Home Again

I woke up this morning to the radio alarm. I had been dreaming of Tunisia, and must have been dreaming in French because the English speaking radio voice sounded unfamiliar and foreign to me. It took me a few minutes to remember where I was. Yes, I'm home again. There is a sense of melancholy because the past several days have been so stimulating, yet there is also a sense of relief at being home, having my own shower and being in my own bed.

We left Tunisia after having had a lovely farewell dinner with our guide and driver. The Tunisian students joined our students for one last get-together, which I know was sad for them as well.

If I can say anything at all about this experience, it would be that everyone should make a trip like this at least once in their lifetime. We learned so much from our knowledgable mentors and guides about the development of the culture with its influences from Christian, Jewish, Muslim traditions -- not to mention the impact of the Italian, Spanish, French, Greek, Turkish and Arabic cultures. The stigma of what we, as Americans, think of as North African Arabic cultures is so far off the mark. When we arrived we were advised not to make eye contact, or any physical contact (for example, when speaking to someone not to touch their shoulder or hand to emphasize a point). These were all untrue. I have never met a more generous, welcoming group of people. They are so eager to let the world know about who they are and their contributions to the world. For a small country, they embody many aspects of life from the cosmopolitan and industrial in Tunis, the seaside tourism of Sousse, the richness of agricultural areas resemblant of Tuscany, and, of course, the desert towns and their people. The ancient ruins of Carthage, Sbeitla, Roman aquaducts, mosaics and art cause one to pause and reflect on the rich heritage of the people. All of these things converge into a wonderful melting pot that really must be experienced. Words cannot convey this experience adequately.

We spent one last afternoon and evening in Paris before our flight home yesterday. Despite an unfortunate incident on the train, we found ourselves at St. Michel and happened on a lovely concert of Vivaldi at St. Severnin. We paused to refresh our spirits and then enjoyed a delightful meal topped off with a wonderful chocolate fondant cake that defies description.

Home again, I look forward to sharing pictures and video clips with you, so watch for them in the next day or two. We have such a vast collection of photos it will be hard to decide which ones to share, but each one tells a story.

For a first travel study trip this has been extremely successful. I've watched the students grow in understanding, language skills, and maturity. I feel honored to have been a part of this adventure. I appreciate everyone's support and responsiveness to the program, and embrace each and everyone of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment